Sunday, June 23, 2013

At least two flower shops in my area have had Heritage roses that come out bright crimson. I purchased the first one at Canadian Tire. I should have known something was wrong when the description said "nearly thornless", meanwhile it was covered inside and out by not-so-tiny prickles. But, it was the only "Heritage" rose there, and a week away from blooming.

The second was a local reputable nursery (grown by Pan-Am Nursery), and every one of their "Heritage" rose buds was deep red. 
Heritage rose mislabelled
As disappointed as I was, I couldn't bring myself to dig this little guy up; he was absolutely thriving, and, while not the colour scheme I had envisioned, he's quite handsome. I just wished I knew what he was.

Well, a few weeks later, I went back to my local nursery and I think I finally found my Heritage rose... labelled as L.D. Braithwaite -- a bright crimson David Austin rose! Mystery solved :)
David Austin's Heritage rose buds

L.D. Braithwaite & spider



No comments: