Saturday, January 05, 2008

Garam Masala Recipe

In order to make the perfect amount of Garam Masala for the first Butter Chicken recipe, use an 1/8 teaspoon (wiped with a paper towel in between each spice).

Cardamom - 6 parts
Cinnamon - 4 parts
Cloves - 2 parts
Coriander - 6 parts
Cumin - 6 parts
Nutmeg - 2 parts
Pepper (Black) - 6 parts
Saffron - 1 part <-- yes, real saffron threads finely ground.

For best results, you're supposed to have all whole spices, roast them briefly, grind them, then use them immediately. I only had whole cardamom, peppercorns, nutmeg and saffron, so I didn't bother roasting them. Also, the first time I made this, I had a couple unlabeled spices and ended up using turmeric instead of cumin and extra cardamom (I think) instead of coriander. It all tasted Indian-esque to me, so I didn't worry too much. Bay leaves and ginger are also popular additions. Keep in mind that there is no "true" Garam Masala recipe -- you combine the spices your Mum taught you to...

No comments: