Monday, April 28, 2008

Morning Smoothie 2

I've made a few changes to my morning smoothie. A gentleman at the Natural Food Pantry in Kanata suggested that I try Shelled Hemp Seed (aka hemp hearts, hemp nuts, etc), and Salvia (aka Chia seeds, Salba, etc), to go along with the Flax (which is still important for women). I also thought I'd give Goat's Milk Yogurt a try, since I don't get along very well with cows.

So here's my attempt at a super omega packed smoothie...

1/2 cup Goat's Milk Natural Yogurt
5 Tablespoons Hemp Nuts
2 Tablespoons Salvia
2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Seed Oil
1/2 cup Juice (whatever tickles your fancy)
~1 cup Frozen Fruit (enough to thicken the smoothie)

The end result was very... healthy... tasting, and quite grainy. Without raspberries to add some pizazz, it was a bit like yogurt with a heap of porridge. Not very appetizing. Next time, I'll make sure to add a 1/4 cup of frozen raspberries to pick up the colour, and maybe a touch of honey to sweeten it up. Perhaps Stevia, or Cocoa, or a Banana would help improve the taste.

I'm wondering if it would be easier to just choke down the stuff with a bit of yogurt -- forget trying to make it a smoothie. Spooned over a ripe banana, fresh berries or a baked apple might be a better idea. My gag reflex can't quite adjust to the texture as a "smoothie", but it might be able to overlook it as a "granola-type fruit topping".

No comments: