Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Peaceful Palms #3 - Making it up

I decided I wanted to make the decreases in my gloves a bit more decorative than what the pattern called for. Of course, this required frogging the 3 inches I had already worked. Now, 3 inches might not sound like a whole lot, but keep in mind I'm working on 2.5mm needles with sock yarn, and I'm not a fast knitter by any means. Those 3 inches hurt.

So... Here's my new plan

CO 73 sts (24 sts on each needle +1 on the last)
Being careful not to twist the sts, join the ends by passing the last st to the first needle and knitting the first and last st together. Knit until end of rnd (72 sts)

Pattern I
Rnd 1: K3, * Sl1 Knitwise, K5. Repeat from * until end of rnd
Rnd 2: * K1, YO, K1, Sl2 Knitwise, K1, YO * repeat from * until end of rnd
Repeat these two rnds until piece measures 1 inch, ending with Rnd 2.

Pattern II
Here is where I'm not too sure what to do. I don't want too much openwork, but I still want an interesting pattern at least on the back of the hand. I also need to decrease 1 st every 2nd round so...
Rnd 1: K3, * Sl1 Purlwise WYB, K5. Repeat from * until of rnd
Rnd 2: K24, place marker, * K1, YO, Sl2 Knitwise, K1, YO * repeat twice, Knit until end of rnd.
Rnd 3: K3, * Sl1 Purlwise WYB, K5. Repeat from * until of rnd.
Rnd 4: K3, Sl1 Knitwise, K1, PSSO, follow pat until marker, * K1, YO, Sl2 Knitwise, K1, YO * repeat twice, follow pat until until last 4 sts, K2Tog, K2.
Rnd 5: K3, * Sl1 Purlwise WYB, K5. Repeat from * until end of rnd.
Rnd 6: Knit until marker, * K1, YO, Sl2 Knitwise, K1, YO * repeat twice, Knit until end of rnd.
Repeat Rnd 3-6 until 46 sts remain on needles.
Repeat Rnd 5-6 until piece measures 11 inches from Pattern I

Pattern III
Rnd 1: K3, * Sl1 Purlwise WYB, K5. Repeat from * until of rnd.
Rnd 2: K4, Bl Inc 1 st, follow pat until marker, * K1, YO, Sl2 Knitwise, K1, YO * repeat twice, follow pat until until last 4 sts, Bl Inc 1 st, K3.
Repeat Rnd 1-2 twice, follow pat for 1 inch. (50 sts)
Repeat Rnd 1-2 twice, follow pat for 1 inch. (54 sts)
Repeat Rnd 1-2 twice, follow pat for 1 inch. (58 sts)

Here is where it gets tricky. I'm not too sure where the thumb will go, if the repeat is on the back of the hand. I *think* it would be the following:

K7, K10 (in a contrasting yarn, then slip the 10 sts back onto left needle and knit over with original yarn), cont in pat.

But I might have to play around with that...

Hmmm.. nope. Another 3 inches in, and I don't like the openwork carried up the hand. However, the slipped 6th stitch looks quite nice, especially with the openwork trim. It's subtle and feminine. Maybe I'll work in a cable, or something... Gar!

At least I'm getting real good at frogging :)

No comments: