Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas projects

I wandered into Yarn Forward yesterday with a list of projects I'd like to complete for Christmas. Thankfully, all my ideas are small and easy (scarves). I found a beautiful magenta cotton for a small scarf and couldn't wait to cast on. I've learned my lesson - I must bring my Denises everywhere :)

I cast on 31 sts on size 10 US, knit 1x1 ribbing for about 8 inches, then decreased 1 every row until I had 23 sts, continued for 8 more inches then put half the sts on a stitch holder and worked the other half for 3 inches. I broke the yarn and continued knitting from the stitch holder. I rejoined the two sides after 3 inches and started increasing 1st every row until there were 31 sts. Then I continued knitting for 8 inches and cast off knitwise. It only took one 50g ball, and I think it's the perfect size for a young child :) If I make another, I'll test the lengths on an actual child, instead of guessing. I'll update the pattern after I see how it looks on my favourite little girl in the world.

I started another scarf with the black bamboo I bought as well. I cast on 250 sts on size 8US, and am working all knit, slipping the first stitch of every row so the ends are purdy :) I think it will take 4 balls (instead of just the 2 I bought)to get the desired width, but at least it's guaranteed to be the right length :) I am in love with the bamboo. It is incredibly soft, like a mix between silk and alpaca, and it has a soft shine as well.

Next up on the needles is a small teddy bear made out of simple cotton, and then a couple dishcloths.

No comments: