Tuesday, January 24, 2006

La Beccharie's Original Tiramisu

If you haven't noticed by now, I currently have a thing for Tiramisu...

The next recipe I will test on my road to the most delicious, fresh and simple Tiramisu is what Anna Maria Volpi claims to be the original recipe from La Beccherie.

It has the simplicity of ingredients I am looking for (no gelatine, condensed milk, etc); it is only *slightly* more complicated than my current recipe, through the addition of whipped cream. I might have a problem with finding 1.5c of espresso, though - I don't have an espresso maker, and I've never ordered it before. I have a feeling that even if I use the Mascarpone Cream of this recipe, I'll go back to my current method of 1 part strong coffee, 1 part kahlua. So that begs the question - what's different in this cream? Less Zabaglione, more Cheese/Cream. We shall see...

Le Beccherie's Tiramisu

Mascarpone Cream
4 egg yolks - whip
1/2 cup (100 gr) sugar - whisk in
1/2 cup (120 cc) Marsala wine (if not available substitute with other sweet wine like port or Madeira) - whisk in, then heat over double boiler
1 lb (450 gr) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature - cream, then whisk in Zabaglione
1 cup (230 cc) heavy whipping cream - whip, then fold in

Base
10 oz (285 gr) savoiardi (ladyfinger cookies) (approximately 40)

Coffee dip
1 -1/2 cups (360 cc) espresso coffee
2 teaspoons sugar

Coating
2 tablespoons bitter cocoa powder

No comments: