Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Spinning Itch

I had an urge to spin this evening, so I hopped on the bus and headed into Kanata's Yarn Forward looking to buy some Fleece Artist roving. Three buses and 45 minutes later, I arrive at the yarn shop - which has been closed for 2 hours. Perhaps I should have double-checked the hours of operation...

All was not lost, however - Yarn Forward is close to Dollarama, a decent Shawarma place, Farm Boy, LCBO, Bulk Barn and Pet Valu.

I stopped in at Dollarama hoping to find some unspun wool or cotton or anything to get me my spinning fix. Nada - but I did find a couple packages of Ladyfingers. Hmmm... might as well pick them up and try my Tiramisu again...

I stopped in at the Shawarma place for a chicken sandwich - the place smelt and looked like a rather large fire had just been put out. An entire side of beef was charred black, so I had a pretty good idea of what had happened not too long before I entered.

I finished my sandwich and wandered into Farm Boy for some Mascarpone cheese. They had the exact same brand I bought at Loblaws, but a buck fifty cheaper - Gar! I was really hoping they'd have a more "Italian" brand to try, but beggars can't be choosers - Mascarpone isn't exactly easy to get a hold of at 8pm.

Next stop was the LCBO for some Marsala. My breath still reeked of Shawarma so I didn't want to ask anyone where I could find the sweet wine. After searching the store twice and coming up empty-handed, I finally asked an emplyee where I could find Marsala. I tried to stay as far away as possible - I think my breath could have knocked over a small child four feet away...

I wandered around the store a bit longer, trying to find the smallest bottles of some of the more common liquors for baking. I picked up some Kahlua, Rum and Irish Cream to add to my Brandy. I figured that would give me a decent selection.

If I really wanted to stock a liquor cabinet, I'd still need some Whiskey (Rye, Bourbon, or Scotch?), Tequila, Vodka, & Gin (does anyone still drink that?), then perhaps some Port, Sherry, Sweet & Dry Vermouth. If I felt really adventurous, there's always triple sec (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Orange Curacao, etc), Creme de Cacao, Pernod, Maraschino, & herb-flavoured Cordials (Benedictine, Campari, Chartreuse, etc), and to round things off, Grenadine and Orgeat syrups.... But I think I'm good for now..

After realizing alcohol is mighty expensive, I wandered into Bulk Barn and grabbed some Cinnamon Hearts. I figured they might mask the supreme garlic odour emanating from my stomach... After that, I wandered by Pet Valu and just barely remembered that Butters was out of Nutro Natural Choice Kitten Formula. We've been out for over a week, and Butters has been giving me some rather rude looks for daring to feed her the Wellness Super5 and Chicken Soup For the Soul brands (when I first adopted Butters, I went out and bought the best formulas I could find, and let her decide which she liked the best. Nutro was the hands down winner - you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get her to eat the rest). Thankfully, it's fairly common (unlike her wet cat food - Felidae Chicken, Turkey, Lamb & Fish Formula for All Life Stages), and they stocked a lovely 10 lb bag for $25. That should keep her happy for quite some time.

So now I have Mascarpone, Marsala and Ladyfingers. Should I put some coffee on to brew now, or wait until Friday to make it? If I wait until Friday, then I can bring it to Jared's for the election watch. Or I can make it today, and eat it myself on Saturday....

If I can't sleep tonight, I know what I'll be doing ;)

No comments: